This from Wikipedia: Prayers of thanks and special thanksgiving ceremonies are common among almost all religions after harvests and at other times. The Thanksgiving holiday’s history in North America is rooted in English traditions dating from the Protestant Reformation. It also has aspects of a harvest festival, even though the harvest in New England occurs well before the late-November date on which the modern Thanksgiving holiday is celebrated.
Thanksgiving is a special time, when many gather together, break bread, feel grateful for their blessings. Hearts go out to those less fortunate, and we are reminded there are too many are indeed less fortunate, and many who are struggling.
The major league baseball season here has ended. The harvest from the past season has taken its course. This year 2018 the Boston Red Sox were just so terrific, and others sought to get there, but fell short. I root for the Dodgers. I give thanks for their remarkable feat of getting to the post season six years in a row, and the players who are so exemplary from Clayton Kershaw to Chase Utley.
What do you give thanks for when it comes to baseball? I came up with a top ten, but could well rethink this and ask myself: How could I have left that out?
TOP TEN THANKING BASEBALL
10: For providing a place where even strangers are friends, the ball park, a home away from home.
9: For the excitement and memories, too many to say, from Ty Cobb to Babe Ruth to Jackie Robinson to Sandy Koufax to Kirk Gibson to Jose Altuve.
8. For Vin Scully. If you grew up listening to him… it wasn’t just a baseball game. It was a story, it is a story, it is lyrical.
7. For the great diversity of players and the inclusion of all.
6. For the seventh inning stretch.
5. For displays of agility that take your breath away.
4. For giving a respite from the challenges of life.
3. For hot dogs and beer and peanuts and… hot dogs and beer and peanuts and…
2. For honoring Veterans.
1. For continuing to help dreams come true. This season I am thinking about Max Muncy, but you can name others of course. Boys and girls aspiring to greatness. It can happen, and it does.
Thank you baseball. And to all, Happy Thanksgiving. I just keep thinking – they play on a diamond. They play on a diamond.